“My website looks boring”, people often say.
You know the type of website that I’m talking about.
You get drawn in by the great headline. You are already in expectation as you click that link. “This is exactly what I’ve been looking for”, you think out loud.
Then, as the page reveals itself, you now think: “What? Why did I bother? Why did they bother? I can’t read this. This website looks boring”.
But here’s the question that I have for you.
Is this also what happens when somebody visits your website?
If so, pay close attention. Your day has arrived.
This article explains how to make a boring website more interesting, and the things to add to make it better.
How to make a boring website more interesting
Who decides whether or not your website is boring?
Of course, you and everybody else (if anybody) involved in building your site has an opinion. But think of the scenario that I mentioned earlier.
Who is the most important person on your website?
It’s your visitor, especially if he or she is a member of your target audience.
So, how do you fix that?
TRY THIS: Put yourself in the place of your prospects, and ask yourself what you, as a potential client would like to see or hear.
Now, let’s put it right.
Things to add to a website to make it better
If you find anything on your website that will cause an unnecessary distraction, get rid of it. If in doubt, leave it out. Let’s keep it clean and simple.
Now, ensure that your website contains:
- Responsive design, so that your prospects who may access your website via a mobile phone or tablet can do so easily.
- Targeted content, so that it speaks directly to your prospects and yet showcases your expertise.
- Appropriate typography, so that your message is clear without looking out of place.
After that, you may find it useful to add one or more of the following:
- Videos, to add a visual and audio explanation of your services and expertise.
- Photographs, to provide visual references and break up any long text.
- References and testimonials, to add social proof and convince your target audience.
You could add other things too, but 3 is plenty enough to make a real difference for now.
Is your website boring (anymore)?
Make your website more interesting by building it for the clients that you want. This includes its design and content.
Try it today and see the difference.
What’s your experience of boring websites?
Please share your comment below then give this post some social love.